Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

vis-com

After completing my 20min seminar not only was I exceptionally relieved, but also far more confident and keen to have another go. I've watched my fair share of TED talks and it's fair to say some people are much better communicators than others, I think this has a lot to do with the balance between an engaging visual presentation and also communicating ideas verbally in a way that people can be drawn in and in a way entertained with knowledge about my project. Weather or not I managed to verbally communicate the ideas surrounding my project well or not, was helped immensely by my visual presentation as it took most of the attention away from me droaning on about surfboards and helped the audience jump into my thoughts and feelings regarding toxic chemicals and the manufacturing process of surfboards... well that was the plan anyway. I mean who wants a room full of bored people staring you down picking out the flaws in your ideas because they can't relate or engage with the project... it can seem that way.
If I were to do it again I would probably try to speak around the on screen images in a way that flowed better as it felt like my presentation stalled a couple of times, both the visuals when I had too much info to talk about regarding a slide and then when I'd run short of things to say when a video would play too long. Nonetheless talking in front of an audience is skill that would probably take a while to master, and I don't think it's just for those who have a gift of the gab, after all you have to have something interesting to talk about. Unless of course humor is used and then you can actually talk to the audience about the speech you're giving them...

No comments:

Post a Comment